Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Loss Not Pertaining to the Celts

This blog is beginning to look like one that focuses soley on basketball. That is not my intention, and it is just coincidence that I have had an awfully lot to say on the matter of late.

Incidentally, something else annoyed me tonight. In between studying for finals, I decided to go out, grab some coffee and enjoy a fine cigar at a lounge I had discovered at the beginning of the year. I voyaged off campus to the local starbucks, grabbed whatever the house brew was and went on my merry way in anticipation of a relaxing hour of expensive carcinogens. After finally finding parking, I exited my vehicle onto the rain splattered streets of Staten Island, only to find that the lounge in question had gone out of business. Now, there could be several reasons for this, however I will focus on the one that I find most infuriating.

Smoking laws in this country are getting out of hand. The business was likely unable to turn enough profit to negate the taxes placed on it by the state of New York. Yes, tobacco is ultimately harmful, and there are risks in its consumption, but let us consider honestly how many of life's pleasures carry no risks. Food? Well unless you REALLY like broccoli, you're going to run into obesity problems there. Alcohol? Liver problems anyone? Television? Well I'm told if you get too close its bad for your eyes, plus, shouldn't you be spending your time more wisely?

Come on people...stop letting the government decide what is good for you. Interpret the information for yourself, or you risk sliding down a slippery slope. I know that tobacco smoke poses health risks to all those who are exposed to it, even those who don't desire to be, but how many non-smokers are entering a cigar bar without accepting the risk that they may be exposed to harmful smoke? I am sick of the attitude that government should decide for the people based on principles of the "greater good". If a store owner wants to allow smoking, so be it. His competitor can go the other way and appeal to a different customer base. That is the way the free market works, and I'm sick of stupid, frivolous regulation of the system that has made the United States so prosperous.

Ah well, such is life...and I predict its only to get worse after the elections are decided.

No comments: